Sunday, October 21, 2012

Odds and Ends

These are are few images and poems that I either have used or would like to use in my classes.



I think I could use this with my Senior Environmental Science course:




There are two poems that I have used to start units: the following Tree poem was at the start of a Deciduous Forest study: 

Let the trees be consulted

before you take any action

every time you breathe in

thank a tree

let tree roots crack parking lot
s
at the world bank headquarters

let loggers be druids

specially trained and rewarded

to sacrifice trees at auspicious times

let carpenters be master artisans

let lumber be treasured like gold

let chainsaws be played like saxophones

let soldiers on maneuvers plant trees

give police and criminals

a shovel and a thousand seedlings

let businessmen carry pocketfuls of acorns

let newlyweds honeymoon in the woods

walk don't drive

stop reading newspapers

stop writing poetry

squat under a tree and tell stories..
- John Wright

I would like to use this one by e. e. cummings in an Ocean ecology unit:
maggie and milly and molly and may

went down to the beach (to play one day)

and maggie discovered a shell that sang

so sweetly she couldnt remember her troubles, and

milly befriended a stranded star

whose rays five languid fingers were;

and molly was chased by a horrible thing

which raced sideways while blowing bubbles: and

may came home with a smooth round stone

as small as a world and as large as alone.

for whatever we lose (like a you or a me)

its always ourselves we find in the sea.
- e. e. Cummings
I wonder if I or my students could make this:



No comments:

Post a Comment